The fixed braces appliance is recommended for young people and adults, for permanent teeth. It allows you to correct defects significantly more serious than a mobile braces. It is made of locks and rings (or tubes), which are attached to the external surface of the teeth with a special glue. To them is fastened by means of ligatures (colloquially called ‘gum’) a wire that exerts a precisely determined force on the teeth. The length of wearing such a braces depends on the defect. Usually about 2 years old.
The most common and proposed fixed orthodontic appliances:
- The fixed metal braces – the most commonly used one, consists metal locks, to which the orthodontic wire is fixed using the so-called ligatures (transparent or colored elastics or thin metal ligatures). The locks in these braces are made of various metal alloys. Available in the version for allergy sufferers – without the addition of nickel or titanium alloys..
- The metal self-ligating braces – no ligatures are used in the apparatus, the bow is kept in the lock by means of a special ‘flap’ that is in it. The time of treatment with the self-ligating device is often shorter than standard braces.
- Fixed aesthetic braces – it has a color similar to the natural shade of teeth or transparent. Aesthetic braces are designed for people who want to reduce the visibility of the braces as much as possible. They can be divided into: ceramic, ceramic-composite, porcelain (less translucent) and sapphire or crystal (more translucent);
- Aesthetic braces are slightly larger than standard metal and more convex ones. During treatment, use the so-called a white diet, i.e. avoid foods and discolourous beverages, smoking is also inadvisable- it causes staining of the ligatures resulting in a non-nice aesthetic effect.
- The fixed aesthetic self-ligating braces – it has a color similar to the natural shade of teeth or is quite transparent. It is designed for people who want to reduce the visibility of the braces as much as possible. The apparatus does not use ligatures, because the bow is kept in the lock using a special ‘flap’ that is in it. The time of treatment with the self-ligating device is often shorter than standard devices.
We invite you to a check-up visit at our Clinic.